Other Usefull Pages
[ BBS FAQ ] [ Error Codes ] [ Chlorine Info ] [ Bromine Info ] [ TDS ] [ pH Explained ] [ Electric Heater Guide ] [ Voltage Testing ] [ Pump Air Lock ] [ Owners Manuals ]

Ask 'Dr. Spa' Q & A Message Board

Ask 'Dr. Spa' Q & A Message Board archives 2

Blue Ridge with PS1 code

I am the original owner of a Blue Ridge / Gatsby portable spa that I purchased from Lowes in 2000. Until recently, no real problems. I came home the other day and noticed a PS1 indication on the display and also noticed that the water temp was hanging near the air temp, IOW no heat. Just as a test, I pushed the Jets button and to my surprise the water came surging out of the jets in the normal fashion. This particular model uses a single speed pump for jets and a separate small circulation / filter pump.

According to the manual, the PS1 code indicates a general switch closure problem with the circulation pump energized. Of course, this could be a symptom of a few different things. I checked the filters, they were fine. I pulled the filters out and tried a panel reset, and still had the same result.

Next I opened the breaker, popped the cover off of the side of the spa, and then opened the control board box. I closed the breaker again and noticed that there was a buzzing noise coming from the board. I started poking around and found that the buzzing was coming from the contactor for the circulation pump. It would buzz for 20 – 30 seconds, pause, and then buzz again.

Time to call for help. I called and spoke to one of the guys at Gatsby. He had me check the basics, filter removal etc… and then pronounced that I had a bad circulation pump. He recommended that I check the line from the filter compartment after draining the spa to remove the pump, but he said that if I do not see any debris there, then it is a bad pump and I am looking at almost $200.00 .

So, I drained the spa, removed the pump, checked the line, and all is clear. I pulled the wet end off of the pump assembly and did not see any noticeable damage or debris, and the impeller seemed to be fine. That is when I noticed that this is a magnetic drive type of pump unit. Aren’t these things supposed to be VERY reliable?

Curiosity got the better of me. I opened the motor housing and put a meter on the starter capacitor and it appeared to be OK. I put the motor cover back on and mounted the pump assembly to a block of wood. Then I fed the pump 240V for about one second and surprisingly it spun right up.

Pressure switch? I put a meter across the pressure switch and stuck a small screwdriver in the gap to toggle the switch on and off. It tested fine. So, I put the pump back in, filled the spa, closed the breaker… And I was back where I started with a buzzing contactor and no heat. I put a meter across the wires running to the circulation pump and there was 240V while the contactor was buzzing, and about ~5V when it was not. I also checked the wires for the heater and there was no voltage at all. While the power was on, I tried manually toggling the pressure switch. When I did this, the panel indication changed to PS2 and the contactor stopped buzzing. According to the manual, the PS2 code indicates a general switch open problem with the circulation pump and heater de-energized. I am assuming that this means that the logic related to the pressure switch is working OK. Of course, I may be assuming too much !

It seems like the circulation pump is the problem, but my simple test outside of the spa makes me wonder, since it did spin up. I would hate to spend almost $200.00 on a new motor and then still have a problem. I have seen some messages regarding failures of these circulation pumps. Mine is a Laing that others have had problems with, so it is a possible “candidate”.

What have I missed in troubleshooting this problem that would give a more definite answer? All help appreciated.

Thanks

Dean

Home Page , Wooden Hot Tubs , Japanese Ofuros , Hot Tub & Spa Covers
Info & Help , Hot Tub FAQ , Hot Tub Picture Gallery , Virtual Store

PLEASE NOTE: We are Roberts Hot Tubs Inc. (manufacturers of traditional wooden hot tubs)! If you found this webpage through a search engine while searching for a different brand of spa, we are not them! We simply appeared in your search due to that name being talked about on this particular web page. The phone number below will reach Roberts Hot Tubs, not the manufacturer of the brand of spa you're searching for. This is a public forum and you're more than welcome to post a question asking for contact or other information for a particular brand of spa. Almost certainly someone will be able to assist you.

(510) 234-7920

Register with our confidential mailing
list to receive notices of updates, special
offers and free information.

E-Mail address: 
subscribe unsubscribe