Other Usefull Pages
[ BBS FAQ ] [ Error Codes ] [ Chlorine Info ] [ Bromine Info ] [ TDS ] [ pH Explained ] [ Electric Heater Guide ] [ Voltage Testing ] [ Pump Air Lock ] [ Owners Manuals ]

Ask 'Dr. Spa' Q & A Message Board

Ask 'Dr. Spa' Q & A Message Board archives

Re: Wiring Up a Sundance Optima

I have a major concern with it. I don't know where you got your research that says #8 THHN is approved for 60 amps, but I just confirmed with my copy of the 2005 NEC which states in Table 310.16 that #8 THHN is only good up to a maximum ampacity of 55 amps before the application of derating factors. Your tub ships from the factory set for 50 amp operation, in which case the recommended #8 would probably be sufficient. Sundance does not recommend the #8 if you change the jumper settings for 60 amp operation.

For the record, #8 THHN (or equivalent) has an ampacity of 55 amps. #6 THHN has an ampacity of 75 amps. Although your tub actually draws a maximum of 48 amps normally, a hot tub (or any major product with motors) will draw higher amperage briefly on motor start-up. That's why such products are subject to the so-called 125 percent rule. Everything (wire, breakers, disconnect) must be sized to meet this rule. Your choice of #8 fails this test and we haven't even begun to inquire as to dearting issues.

I would suggest that you re-jumper back to 50 amp operation with this wire. If you have severe de-rating issues, you may even want to jumper back to 40 amp operation for now, at least until you properly size your wire.

I must admit that I am slightly puzzled that you undersized this portion of the circuit when you plainly heeded our other advice about upsizing the wire on the long run.

Here's a golden rule about wire: Size matters.

John

: So the outcome was no further bonding was
: needed as there was nothing metal near the
: spa which might become energized. Inspector
: said I could ground to the grounding rod I
: drove in but it simply wasn't needed.

: But he the inspector did have an initial wiring
: concern. I used #4 THHN from the house to
: the outside 60 AMP GFCI (~70') - overkill so
: no problem here; and then #8 THHN (~12')
: from the GFCI to the spa. Inspector said the
: wire was too small and wouldn't rate to 60
: AMP. I showed him the Optima wiring guide
: which recommended #8 and that max draw is 48
: AMPS. I also found research on wiring that
: indicated that #8 could handle 60 AMPS. He
: let it go (approved it) but suggested I
: contact Sundance to confirm the wire size. I
: set the jumper so the spa knows it has 60
: AMPS and I can run both pumps and the heater
: at the same time without an issue.

: Anyone see an issue with using #8 THHN?

Messages In This Thread

Home Page , Wooden Hot Tubs , Japanese Ofuros , Hot Tub & Spa Covers
Info & Help , Hot Tub FAQ , Hot Tub Picture Gallery , Virtual Store

PLEASE NOTE: We are Roberts Hot Tubs Inc. (manufacturers of traditional wooden hot tubs)! If you found this webpage through a search engine while searching for a different brand of spa, we are not them! We simply appeared in your search due to that name being talked about on this particular web page. The phone number below will reach Roberts Hot Tubs, not the manufacturer of the brand of spa you're searching for. This is a public forum and you're more than welcome to post a question asking for contact or other information for a particular brand of spa. Almost certainly someone will be able to assist you.

(510) 234-7920

Register with our confidential mailing
list to receive notices of updates, special
offers and free information.

E-Mail address: 
subscribe unsubscribe