Other Usefull Pages
[ BBS FAQ ] [ Error Codes ] [ Chlorine Info ] [ Bromine Info ] [ TDS ] [ pH Explained ] [ Electric Heater Guide ] [ Voltage Testing ] [ Pump Air Lock ] [ Owners Manuals ]

Ask 'Dr. Spa' Q & A Message Board

Ask 'Dr. Spa' Q & A Message Board archives

Re: Changing HP on Pump Motor
In Response To: Changing HP on Pump Motor ()

Kenneth, somebody must have changed the motor in the past and put a smaller motor in. The Z145 is a single pump hot tub with a 1.5 HP pump originally. Jacuzzi originally mated this pump to a 1.5 HP Magnetek motor. Later versions of the Z145 retained the 1.5 HP pump, but Jacuzzi began installing 1.0 HP motors, first from Magnetek and later from Emerson. The Emerson motors were especially bad and do not last long.

Since you stated that you have a .75 HP motor, this cannot be an original factory installed motor. I would also suggest that the pump is also probably not original. A .75 HP motor just couldn't swing a 1.5 HP impeller, at least not for long.

I would suggest replacing the entire pump/motor with a 1.5 HP model. I DO NOT RECOMMEND the actual replacement that Jacuzzi currently ships (the 1.5 HP pump/ 1.0 HP Emerson motor). The motor does not last. Instead, I recommend getting a new Jacuzzi pump for this model and mate it with a Magnetek 1.5 HP BN-50 motor, which is what Jacuzzi's engineering documents (I have them on CD) actually call for. The BN-50 motor is the one used for UL certification of the tub and was also used for the first two years of production.

.75 HP motors and pumps were only used on the two-pump models such as the Z-140 and Z-150.

There were two versions of the Z145 produced, an analog version (has a knob you turn to control the temperature) and a digital version (digital display of temperature). The analog version uses a 20 amp slow blow motor fuse mounted on the PC Board (SC-20). The digital version uses a 25 amp fuse (SC-25). Check the fuse. If someone made such a bad mistake on the motor size, they probably put the wrong fuse in as well.

John

: I have a "Jacuzzi" Essence & Echo
: Spa model #Z145/345.

: It has a 3/4 HP now and I want to make the jets
: stonger. Can I move the HP up 2.5? Or maybe
: 1.5? Please help. I got this spa from my
: father and it looks like it was just bought
: off of the showroom floor, but the jets are
: weak.

: Thanks,
: Kenneth, South Carolina

Messages In This Thread

Home Page , Wooden Hot Tubs , Japanese Ofuros , Hot Tub & Spa Covers
Info & Help , Hot Tub FAQ , Hot Tub Picture Gallery , Virtual Store

PLEASE NOTE: We are Roberts Hot Tubs Inc. (manufacturers of traditional wooden hot tubs)! If you found this webpage through a search engine while searching for a different brand of spa, we are not them! We simply appeared in your search due to that name being talked about on this particular web page. The phone number below will reach Roberts Hot Tubs, not the manufacturer of the brand of spa you're searching for. This is a public forum and you're more than welcome to post a question asking for contact or other information for a particular brand of spa. Almost certainly someone will be able to assist you.

(510) 234-7920

Register with our confidential mailing
list to receive notices of updates, special
offers and free information.

E-Mail address: 
subscribe unsubscribe