Other Usefull Pages
[ BBS FAQ ] [ Error Codes ] [ Chlorine Info ] [ Bromine Info ] [ TDS ] [ pH Explained ] [ Electric Heater Guide ] [ Voltage Testing ] [ Pump Air Lock ] [ Owners Manuals ]

Ask 'Dr. Spa' Q & A Message Board

Diagnosing Tiger River heater problem

Hi,

I've got a 2001 Tiger River Sumatran (IQ 2020 control board and Watkins No-Fault 6000 heater). After fixing a leak on the pump I found that I had no heat. I'm not sure if there is a relationship between those two problems but the timing is suspicious.

I thought the heater itself was broken but after expermentation (not exactly knowing what I am doing but learning), I learned that it can put out heat when connected to voltage. Then I learned that the heater control board has burn marks on the back of the center large relay. I tried re-soldering the burned connection but that relay smoked again as soon as I reconnected it. Now that I've filled the tub with water and reconnected everything again, I've also noticed that the heater is leaking water a bit. It is leaking externally; I have no idea whether the water is leaking into where the wires connect, but I suspect it may be making contact there.

So...my real question is do I need a new relay, a new heater control board, or a new heater as well? I mean, is the heater board bad, or is the heater leak causing the board to short out, meaning I now need to replace both?

Can you help me diagnose this? Thanks for any help! :)

Messages In This Thread

Home Page , Wooden Hot Tubs , Japanese Ofuros , Hot Tub & Spa Covers
Info & Help , Hot Tub FAQ , Hot Tub Picture Gallery , Virtual Store

PLEASE NOTE: We are Roberts Hot Tubs Inc. (manufacturers of traditional wooden hot tubs)! If you found this webpage through a search engine while searching for a different brand of spa, we are not them! We simply appeared in your search due to that name being talked about on this particular web page. The phone number below will reach Roberts Hot Tubs, not the manufacturer of the brand of spa you're searching for. This is a public forum and you're more than welcome to post a question asking for contact or other information for a particular brand of spa. Almost certainly someone will be able to assist you.

(510) 234-7920

Register with our confidential mailing
list to receive notices of updates, special
offers and free information.

E-Mail address: 
subscribe unsubscribe