Other Usefull Pages
[ BBS FAQ ] [ Error Codes ] [ Chlorine Info ] [ Bromine Info ] [ TDS ] [ pH Explained ] [ Electric Heater Guide ] [ Voltage Testing ] [ Pump Air Lock ] [ Owners Manuals ]

Ask 'Dr. Spa' Q & A Message Board

Hot Tub Amperage Draw

I have a 1999 Sundance Maxxus hot tub. It has had its occasional problems, but nothing major. Lately though ive noticed that in the early evening the hot tub will cycle on and off, sometimes as quick as a few seconds up to a few minutes. My neighbor just told me tonight that when he hears my tub cycle on and off like that, he notices his lights dimming.

Out of curiousity, he took an amp meter and put it on his main lines coming into his house. He said when my hot tub comes on, the amps on his line go UP each time. His house and my house are both sharing the same transformer.

First off, my hot tub is completely full of water, so i know that wouldnt be why it would cycle on and off like that. Secondly, its not around a time that a cleaning cycle is programmed. Also, today, i was using it for 2 to 3 hours, and it ran fine. It didnt cycle on and off like that at all.

My question is this... Does this sound like an electrical/transformer issue, and something we should notify the power company about. Or is there something wrong w/ the hot tub itself that would cause it to do that? I wanted to post these questions here because usually its a matter of phone tag w/ the company that services my tub, and i trust the advice ive got on here before.

My neighbor is going to let the power company know tomorrow what the issue is, and have them come check things out, but i wanted to cover the hot tub side to see if its something im responsible for.

Any help would be appreciated!

Messages In This Thread

Home Page , Wooden Hot Tubs , Japanese Ofuros , Hot Tub & Spa Covers
Info & Help , Hot Tub FAQ , Hot Tub Picture Gallery , Virtual Store

PLEASE NOTE: We are Roberts Hot Tubs Inc. (manufacturers of traditional wooden hot tubs)! If you found this webpage through a search engine while searching for a different brand of spa, we are not them! We simply appeared in your search due to that name being talked about on this particular web page. The phone number below will reach Roberts Hot Tubs, not the manufacturer of the brand of spa you're searching for. This is a public forum and you're more than welcome to post a question asking for contact or other information for a particular brand of spa. Almost certainly someone will be able to assist you.

(510) 234-7920

Register with our confidential mailing
list to receive notices of updates, special
offers and free information.

E-Mail address: 
subscribe unsubscribe